We are a group within Middle Harbour Yacht Club that encourages, promotes and engages in yacht cruising activities. Whilst formally organised, with a committee and regular meeting nights, we welcome any sailing member of the club to attend, as well as non-members who are keen on joining the club. We regard cruising to consist of any on-water boating activity outside of a formally organised race. Cruising activities are characterised as relaxed, family friendly, non-competitive, often short-handed and usually of a more social nature.
We organise events ranging from social raft-ups, to on-harbour events, to long weekends in Pittwater and Port Hacking. Typically we plan one on-water event per month – however our members are on the water most weekends and are recognisable by the distinctive “Compass Rose” burgee (a white compass rose on a red triangular background) flying below the club pennant. Our Christmas cruise has been to destinations such as Lake Macquarie, Port Stephens and Batemans Bay.
We meet monthly at 7.30pm on the third Monday of each month at the club, with a bring-your-own barbeque at 6.30pm. We invite a guest speaker to each meeting, and try to alternate between “interesting” and “informative” subjects – although most tend to be both! For example, speakers have included accounts of long distance cruises such as from Europe to Australia and through South East Asia.
Our aim is to;
- Encourage and support existing club members to undertake cruising activities in their yachts.
- Encourage and support new members to join the club and to undertake cruising activities.
- Encourage competent and safe seamanship amongst our members.
- Organise and undertake cruises in company, be they single day, weekend, or longer cruises, further afield.
- Organise and hold informative meetings of interest to those wishing to cruise and those wishing to expand their knowledge of cruising.
- Organise and hold education sessions on cruising topics where necessary, or locate and support suitable education courses held by other bodies.
- Organise and hold social occasions to bring together the Middle Harbour Yacht Club cruising fraternity.
To join the Cruising Division, a one off $50.00 joining fee applies in addition to MHYC Club Membership. Download the Cruising Division Boat and Membership application form.
Cruising Division Members, receive the monthly Compass Rose Publication as well as the opportunity to attend monthly Cruising Division meetings (special guest speakers) and get togethers/raftups.
To view the Cruising Division Schedule of Events - click here